One of my favorite songs that our children learn during worship is, Give Thanks.
I also think it is such a relevant song for us today. To teach our children to be thankful.
WHO headline in March 2022 read: COVID-19 pandemic triggers 25% increase in prevalence of anxiety and depression worldwide. If we keep the news on long enough there are wars and rumors of war, earthquakes, natural disasters. So how do we prepare our children to face their future?
Therefore let us be grateful for receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken, and thus let us offer to God acceptable worship, with reverence and awe,
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18
Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.
I heard someone quote: “It is impossible to feel depressed and grateful at the same moment” Naomi Williams. So I actually googled it to see if it was true and they did scientific research for this. (See footnote)
We cannot change or control the circumstances around us but we can have peace no matter what happens. Train our children to be thankful. God always told us to remember because we easily forget. The children of Israel forgot so quickly that he miraculously rescued them through the Red Sea. Get into the habit of being thankful. It’s something we have to teach our children and model ourselves.
- Get into the habit of saying, “please” & “thank you”.
- Make it a habit for your children to write thank you notes when they receive something.
- Start a Gratitude Journal or for those (like me) who are not into writing diaries, just make it a daily habit to start or end your day with, I am thankful that……….
I remember my pastor’s wife sharing that once on a plane ride when she was feeling down, God challenged her to write about Amazing Grace–all the amazing things that God had done for her. She started and ended up writing pages and pages and before she left the plane, she was just filled with gratitude and thankfulness that she couldn’t be sad anymore.
I’ve also made it a habit of starting my day, with my quiet time with God, then just end with writing just a sentence, I am thankful…… Just to remind myself that God is good and I am blessed.
- I am thankful for my cup of coffee each morning.
- I am thankful to see the sunrise and be alive.
- I am thankful that I have a wonderful job for 10+ years at a school that allows me to freely share my faith.
- I am thankful for the wonderful staff I work with.
- I am thankful for all the children at the school that smile and greet us each morning.
- I am thankful for parents that so faithfully support our school.
- I am thankful for all that God has done in my life.